In August of 2009, Anti-Choice zealots descended on Bellevue, Nebraska. The atmosphere amongst those of us defending Dr. Carhart's clinic was a mixture that is hard to explain. Fear, excitement, compassion - anger...
Fear - because there are antis that are prone to violence. As much as we tried to prepare and protect everyone - the reality was, every one of us was at risk. The funny part was - the SWAT team seemed to pay more attention to US - than to them.
As for the actual event - the weekend was a blur. There was an airshow going on at the airbase in town - so there was this constant noise of jet engines - it made it a bit surreal. I met some amazing advocates and am honored to have assisted them even in a small way.
To everyone attending the Summer Celebration of Choice in Germantown - I have a few pieces of advice:
1) Do what the organizers and/or the police tell you. You may not understand - but these things are for your
2) Try your best to remain calm - do not engage. Antis will try to provoke you and they are looking for a
reason to call the cops on you. It helps their idea that some how THEY are the victims in this scenario. Try
not to get caught by yourself.
3) Drink lots of water - and take care of yourself. Even in a short amount of time, the heightened tension and
the enviroment can get to you. It looks like you all will be baking in some serious heat - so take care of
each other and stay hydrated.
4) Wear your suncreen! (I am a whitest of the white girls - and a bit of a sunscreen evangelist). Sunburns are
bad! Don't fight me on this.
5) Remember you are there for the patients and Dr. Carhart - they need you.
My heart is with you all - Stay SAFE! (and wear your sunscreen! Even on the tops of your ears - ask @ClinicEscort about that one).